Justin Seed Company was incorporated in 1956. Our original purpose was the production and promotion of quality seed. While our product line and uses for seed have changed, our first goal is the seed. Justin Seed is comprised of three major product lines (Seed, Fertilizer, and Erosion Control) which work together to provide traditional and innovative products and services to meet your needs. A limited explanation of the three products lines follows:
• SEED •
Our expertise began in field seeds for the production of grain and forage. Becoming a trusted name for field seeds brought requests for an expanded line. Today some of our items include:
• FIELD SEEDS • Field seeds began as our primary emphasis. With custom production and processing in Barley, Rye, Triticale, Oats, and Wheat -hard and soft.
• GRASSES • Grass seeds have become a very important area of seed production. The changing demand, variety, and environmental conditions make grass seeds a changing product line. Uses for Native and Introduced grasses include Erosion Control, Forage, Green Manure, Golf Courses, Hay production, Landscaping, Lawns, Over seeding, Parking Areas, Temporary Erosion Control Turf, Sports Fields, and Wetlands. Our major grasses include Bermuda, Bluestems, Buffalograss, Indiangrass, Fescue, Grama, Kleingrass, Lovegrass, Ryegrass, Switchgrass, and Wheatgrass.
• LEGUMES • In North Texas our legume production and needs are limited for the use of forage production for livestock and wildlife. Our legumes include Clovers, Vetch, and Winter Peas during the cool season, while Cowpeas are dominant during the warm growing season.
• SORGHUM • Sorghum production is limited to forage products such as Hybrid Forage, Hybrid Sudan, and Open Pollinated forage crops. We do carry a full line of Grain Sorghums produced by other sources.
• WILDFLOWERS • Wildflower production depends mainly on native seed stands which produce inconsistently. We try to maintain a full line of wildflowers native to Texas such as Texas Bluebonnets, but we also carry items that are adapted to the Southwest.
• WILDLIFE • Our available wildlife seeds are to supplement, attract and support an array of wildlife species, including deer, migratory birds and non-migratory birds. These seeds can be blended to produce additional forage for your specific climate.
• FERTILIZER •
Our fertilizer facilities allow us to meet our customers’ need whether they are bagged or bulk products. Bagging can be performed in plastic or paper bags and 1,000 to 2,000 pound bulk tote bags. Bulk can be supplied to customers in our 4 to 6 ton customer pulled applicators or custom applied. Custom application includes both dry and liquid products with or without pesticides.
Our dry blending equipment is a volumetric system using direct current motors and electric controllers to measure each ingredient. This system is very accurate in blending specialty products for both the agricultural and turf markets. Our ingredients include industry standard products, slow release, organic, and trace elements to meet most customers’ requests.
In-addition to fertilizer we carry a full line of agricultural chemicals. We represent international manufacturers such as Dow, Monsanto, and Novartis, as well as smaller regional manufactures. These pesticides include both insecticides and herbicides for agricultural and turf applications.
• EROSION PRODUCTS •
Keeping erosion to a minimum has become an important issue. We believe that the most sound and cost effective erosion control techniques require the use and understanding of establishing plants through the use of seed. While nature uses plants to control erosion, other things or other products insure effectiveness.